James Halliwell is features editor at The Grocer. He writes, edits and commissions features and big interviews, as well as the Critical Eye TV column, news articles and blogs. Particular areas of interest include emerging technology, and the rise of the discounters.
James was voted PPA Business Writer of the Year in 2013 and BSME Print Writer of the Year in 2014. Prior to joining The Grocer in 2011 he was a website content editor for Thomson Reuters.
His big passions are pop culture, Chelsea Football Club, and food and drink. @jameshalliwell
- 01293 610253
Spanish discounter Dia is eyeing the UK – and could emulate Sainsbury’s deal with Netto by teaming up with a UK retailer…
Mary Portas proves her point with Secret ShopperSubscription
Mary Portas was back with a bang on the eponymous Secret Shopper this week…
What now, Tescopoly?Subscription
With the supermarket chain in contraction as sales slide, is the work of the vociferous pressure group now done?…
- Junk Food Kids: Who's to Blame? Emotional, riveting TVSubscription
- Why is Poundland cosying up with neighbouring 99p Stores?Subscription
- Trade associations: standing up for indie retailers' rightsSubscription
- A kaleidoscope of colour: switching the lights can hike salesSubscription
- Heston unlocks the Recipe for Romance with customary insanity
- Eat Well for Less: Gregg Wallace doles out idiotic advice
- Will Lidl lingerie prove a turn-on?
Recent blog posts
If I ever have a rough day at work I often cheer myself up by thinking, well, at least I’m not Philip Clarke.
In 2007, it was nearly all over for English mustard as we know it, thanks to a disastrous harvest of mustard seeds…
Top New Talent, launched by The Grocer in 2013, is once again inviting anyone in the industry (aged under 35) to put themselves forward…
- Man of the people
- Pie and mash-up
- Back in the saddle
- Lidl dreams - and reality
- Grocery's got talent
- Aldi rampant