Police have charged a 51-year-old man in connection with a series of bomb threats that led to the closure of 14 Tesco stores earlier this month.

Philip McHugh, of Milton Avenue, Clitheroe, has been charged with two counts of blackmail and bomb hoaxing and has been remanded in custody after appearing before Stevenage Magistrates Court.

McHugh was arrested on Monday in Clitheroe. The police said they were not seeking anyone else in connection with these offences.

Hertfordshire police said that although financial demands were made against Tesco, at no point did the company pay out any money.