Unilever will send no more waste to landfill in the UK having signed a recycling deal with waste contractor Veolia.

The agreement will ensure that 97% of the waste produced at Unilever’s 11 UK factories, as well as its offices and labs, will be recycled. The remaining 3% will be converted into usable energy.

“It’s a great example of how we are putting our sustainability strategy into action by decoupling the growth of our business from its environmental impact,” said Tony Dunnage, Unilever’s European eco-efficiency manager.

The move takes the Marmite and Pot Noodle maker a step closer to achieving its goal of sending no waste to landfill globally by 2017.

Read more
Why those free plastic bags are still hanging on in there (analysis; 6 August 2011)
Saturday Essay: The future is bright for food waste recycling (25 June 2011)