Tesco will give all profits from sales of the News of the World on Sunday to charity, in a bid to appease angry customers.

The supermarket giant – one of the New of the World’s top-spending advertisers – made the announcement today following outrage from shoppers over its refusal to cease advertising with the now-doomed paper.

“Many of you felt we should stop advertising in the News of the World,” Tesco said today via Facebook.

“While this was subject to a police investigation, we felt it would be inappropriate to do so. We are sorry this did not please everybody.

“We always said we shared the outrage at the alleged activities and our sympathies were with those affected. We have listened to you and will donate all profit from sales of the last News of the World to charity.”

Retailers including Sainsbury’s and The Co-operative Group announced earlier this week they were pulling their ads from the paper before yesterday’s shock decision by News International that this Sunday’s edition would be its last.

The move by Tesco attracted mixed reactions from Facebook users.

“As a late gesture, this is better than nothing,” said one. “I hope you react quicker if, as I expect, other newspapers are found to be involved.”

Read more
Ad pressure eases as NotW calls it a day (8 July 2011)
Sainsbury’s joins The Co-op in News of the World ad boycott (7 July 2011)
Tesco won’t rush into News of the World boycott (5 July 2011)