February 23, 1991. Tesco has been fined £750, £200 compensation and £1,000 court costs after a customer almost choked on a two-inch metal hair grip embedded in a bread roll. Joyce Schaffer of Jupp Road West, Stratford, London, told Thames Magistrates Court she had bought the roll from the Bromley-by-Bow branch. She felt something stick in the back of her throat when she bit into it and began choking, spitting out the food containing the grip. The multiple initially denied the charge of selling a product not of the standard required by a customer. {{COUNTERPOINT }}