Harry Tuffins was started in 1955 when Harry and Doris Tuffin opened a garage with two petrol pumps in Churchstoke on the Welsh border. Recognising the potential for selling food and drink, they soon added a small shop to the business.
Their daughter Ruby and her husband Roy Delves joined the business in 1960, while Harry concentrated on a taxi business and school bus service.
Tuffins opened its second store, a 3,000 sq ft supermarket and petrol station, also in Churchstoke. The store has since been extended to cover 40,000 sq ft of floorspace and has additional facilities such as a launderette, garden centre and hairdresser.
The company joined Nisa-Today's in 1982, which marked a major turning point in its development.
Since then it has opened four new sites, most recently a 3,000 sq ft store in Ludlow, which opened in January.
The business currently sits at number 30 in our Top 50 list of independents.
While the company has expanded, it hasn't strayed too far from its roots. The majority of its stores are based near the Welsh border.
The company is now managed by third-generation family member Paul Delves who also owns the Montgomeryshire Natural Water Company, which bottles water for many independent supermarkets, buying groups and wholesalers.