Tate & Lyle, the sugar and ingredients company, has bought Dolcre, the South African food ingredients company.

Dolcre is the largest importer of fructose and the sole distributor of SPLENDA Sucralose in South Africa.

Tate & Lyle has had a 20% stake in the company since 1998 and it recently bought the remaining 80%, with net assets acquired totalling £1.4m.

“Dolcre’s approach to working in partnership was an ideal fit with Tate & Lyle’s new customer-focussed vision,” said Stanley Musesengwa, Tate & Lyle’s chief operating officer. “We look forward to building on Dolcre’s excellent reputation for customer service and bringing Tate & Lyle’s ingredient expertise to the table.”

Diederick Reid, Dolcre’s managing director, now managing director of Tate & Lyle Food & Industrial Ingredients, said: ‘We have worked with Tate & Lyle for some years now as customer and partner, and have a shared approach to offering customers ingredient solutions tailored to their specific needs.”