The top two US milk processors have joined forces in a mega deal to create a dairy giant controlling more than a third of the US liquid milk market. Just weeks after struggling processor Dean Foods issued a third quarter profits warning, rival Suiza Foods has snapped it up in a $2.5bn share deal to form a combined group with a turnover of $10bn. Suiza shareholders will own 65% of the new company, and Dean stockholders the remaining 35%. Analysts suspected Dean was vulnerable to a takeover after it hired Goldman Sachs to explore its "strategic and financial alternatives" last month. Suiza and Dean are the top two US dairy firms, so the deal is likely to prompt regulatory concerns. The two hold 34% of the US liquid milk market. {{NEWS }}

Topics