- There were 16.5 billion breakfast occasions last year - 30% of all meal occasions.
- Consumers initially reacted to the recession by increasing breakfasts and reducing more expensive snacking habits. This trend has begun to reverse, as breakfast occasions have fallen 0.3% year-on-year.
- The average consumer had 12 breakfasts a fortnight - 8% of potential breakfast occasions are being skipped.
- The core breakfast consumers are children, accounting for 22% of occasions, but consumption has declined over the last year, as in most groups.
- Cereals are the top food eaten, with RTE cereal accounting for 52% of breakfast occasions (8.5 billion). Over the last few years, this has declined though, by 2.5% year on year.
Tom Roberts Kantar Worldpanel
Focus on Breakfast: Bed or breakfast?
- Currently reading
Breakfast: Kantar Worldpanel