Unilever announced this week that it will no longer send any of its UK waste to landfill six years ahead of the company's global deadline to send zero waste to landfill.

Under a new recycling deal with waste contractor Veolia, 97% of the waste produced at Unilever's 11 UK factories, offices and labs, will now be recycled. The remaining 3% will be converted into usable ­energy.

"It's a great example of how we are putting our sustainability strategy into action," said Tony Dunnage, Unilever's European eco-efficiency manager.