The Food Standards Agency has warned consumers not to eat from a batch of Loyd Grossman korma sauce following an outbreak of botulism.

An alert was issued yesterday (Sunday) following the hospitalisation of  two members of a Scots family that ate from a 350g jar of sauce carrying a February 2013 best-before date and batch code 1218R 07:21. Both patients, who were admitted to hospital that day, are said to be in a stable condition.

Only one jar of the korma sauce has been found to be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum, which causes botulism, and no other batches or products from the Premier Foods brand are believed to be affected.

The symptoms of botulism – which is fatal in 5% to 10% of cases – include blurred vision and difficulty in swallowing. The disease is rare in the UK and tends to occur when Clostridium botulinum spores – which can only grow in the absence of oxygen – have got into an airtight container.

Read more
Cabinet Office stops FSA’s E.coli campaign (11 November 2011)
Form a queue for the checkout belt that kills superbugs (5 November 2011)