Morrisons was warned before about “poor food handling procedures” at two stores linked to an E.coli outbreak, it has emerged.

Environmental health officers had drawn attention to more than 20 issues at the two supermarkets in Paisley, near Glasgow, over the past three years, Renfrewshire council confirmed.

Nine people have contracted the bug and a 66-year-old woman has died in the outbreak, which has been linked to cold sliced meat bought at the stores.

There have been no new cases of E.coli following the outbreak two weeks ago.