A three-day strike planned for this weekend, followed by an overtime ban and a seven-day strike, has been suspended for seven days after the retailer backed down to a demand from the T&G and GMB for joint national discussions on pay and conditions.
The first round of talks was held earlier this week and although both sides have said that progress had been made, the supermarket still faces the threat of industrial action by 4,000 dissatisfied distribution workers. As The Grocer went to press, talks were set to resume.
Morrisons said that it had tabled a number of positive measures to avoid the dispute, which included bringing the start of consultation and negotiation on its distribution network review forward to Friday, September 23.
A joint statement from the T&G and GMB said that the all-day talks had made progress.