- Growth has been driven almost entirely by an increase in average volume prices - consumers can expect to pay up to 11% more per litre of ice cream than they did a year ago.
- Premium ice cream remains the biggest sector in the market, out-performing the total market in both value and volume.
- ‘Dessert-style’ flavours have become more popular as manufacturers continue to look for ways to attract new shoppers.
- The chocolate sticks sector has managed to limit price increases, and consequently has attracted 1.3 million more households in the latest year, helping drive 21.7% value growth.
- Children continue to be an important demographic, though consumption levels have fallen.
- The big four represent 70% of the take-home ice cream market, with each retailer seeing year-on-year value growth and volume decline.
Simon Arnell, analyst, Kantar Worldpanel
Focus on Ice Cream: Magnum force
- Currently reading
Ice cream: Kantar Worldpanel analyst comments