Focus On Beer and Cider by Daniel Woolfson
Download the synopsis here
Publishing: 29 February
Advertising deadline: 17 February
Submissions deadline: 14 February
Feature 1: Sustainability in beer
At last, a reason to feel good about cracking open a beer. Because brands are embarking on a major sustainability drive. Carlsberg started the ball rolling by ditching plastic rings from its packaging in September 2018. Then Diageo pledged to remove plastic packaging from all of its beer brands last April. So how are brands making their products more sustainable? How much more activity will we see in this area in 2020? And to what extent do eco-credentials influence consumer choices?
• The giants: What are the brewing giants doing to improve their sustainability credentials? Do they have any plans for 2020 and beyond?
• Smaller brands: What are smaller operations doing to become more environmentally friendly?
• Next frontier: So far, the emphasis has been on ditching plastic from packaging. What will be the next area of focus for sustainability?
• Sales: To what extent are these environmental credentials impacting on sales & consumer perceptions, if at all?
• Kantar data: Using Kantar commentary, we explain the reasons behind the rise and fall of the beer and cider sub-categories.
• Nielsen data: Using Nielsen commentary, we look at the 10 fastest-growing brands and 10 fastest-falling brands of the past year.
Feature 2: Is the cider boom slowing?
Cider is booming. Last year, sales stood at just shy of £835m but Kantar says cider is facing stiff competition from sweeter alcoholic drinks, such as flavoured gin and pre-mix cans. So are the years of stellar growth in cider coming to an end? To what extent are cider brands feeling the impact of increased competition? And what are they doing to fight back?
• Brands: How are the big cider brands performing? Are there any promising smaller brands?
• Innovation: What is the role of innovation in keeping drinkers interested in cider? Which brands have taken a lead on this front?
• Flavoured gin and pre-mix: To what extent are these sweeter alcoholic drinks tempting cider drinkers to stray?
• Marketing: Who is spending big on marketing? And what impact does that have on sales?
• Nielsen data: Using Nielsen commentary, we look at the 10 fastest-growing brands and 10 fastest-falling cider brands of the past year.
• Innovations: We identify four new products that have ideally not appeared in The Grocer before including launch date and RSP, and a picture of each.
- PDF, Size 0.13 mb