Fresh tuna steaks bought from a Scottish Tesco store have been linked to three cases of food poisoning.

Three instances of Scombrotoxin poisoning were diagnosed last week in the Inverness area.

Environmental health officers established a link to fresh tuna steaks bought last week from a Tesco Extra store on Inverness Retail Park.

Scombrotoxin is caused by toxins that accumulate in fresh fish that has not been stored at the correct temperature.

Tesco said that when the Highland Council’s health team audited the store, no issues were found with temperature management or general hygiene. Samples have been sent for testing and all fresh tuna has been removed from the store.

“We advise anyone who bought the product from this store to dispose of it,” said Highland Council food safety officer Alan Yates. A fourth case is suspected.