Discounter Netto is moving forward in its bid to deliver a full shopping service after successfully trialling a 'food to go' initiative and introducing an e-top-up service.
Recently, Netto MD Richard Lancaster told The Grocer he was to reposition the discounter as a mainstream supermarket and used the company's inaugural IGD trade briefing to reveal more details.
Lancaster said Netto would be increasing the amount of space dedicated to chilled over the next two years as well as building on its new food to go offer and introducing the mobile phone top-up service.
"We're looking at adding to the shopping experience of our customers," said Lancaster. "We have finished a successful trial of food to go in nine UK stores. As a result, further trials of possible new product groups are now underway."
Lancaster, who said the purpose of the IGD briefing was to engage suppliers and push towards total annual sales of £1bn, admitted the business had been "relatively secretive" up until now.
"The business is moving into a new era where supplier engagement is key to future success," he said.
Lancaster and commercial director Kevin Barber told 200 suppliers significant changes would be made to Netto's operations, following six months of customer research.
"Netto's focus on price will remain, the business will never knowingly be undersold, but changes will be seen in store environment, marketing, product range, macro/micro layout, and crucially brand. We are positioned for rapid growth offering opportunities for brand owners and private label suppliers alike."
Lancaster said Netto was enjoying "strong growth". TNS Worldpanel figures for the 12 weeks to October 7 show Netto grew 13% year- on-year, although market share was static at 0.7%.
Aldi still leads the discounters with 2.6% of the market, followed by Lidl with 2.3%. Lancaster said he hoped this would change over the next few years and planned to boost the retailer's 180-store count.