Mars has recalled selected packs of Galaxy and Maltesers chocolate amid fears they could be contaminated with salmonella.
The voluntary recall - which affects batches of Galaxy Smooth milk chocolate, Minstrels and Counters as well as Maltesers Teasers bars - was issued today as a “precautionary measure” after Mars discovered the ”possible presence” of the bug in the ingredients used to make the chocolate during routine testing.
No other Mars products or batches were affected, the manufacturer insisted, and there had been “no related complaints” so far. It urged shoppers who had purchased the recalled chocolate not to eat it, and to contact its customer services team for a refund.
“We are working closely with the relevant food safety authorities and our customers to ensure that the affected products are no longer available for purchase,” said a Mars spokesperson.
The products affected by the recall are:
- Galaxy Milk 200g bar with best before dates of 13/05/2018 and 06/05/2019
- Galaxy Milk 4x42g multipack bars with best before date of 06/05/2018
- Galaxy Milk 42g bar with best before date of 06/05/2018
- Galaxy Counters 78g bag best before date of 06/05/2018
- Maltesers Teasers 235g bar with best before date of 13/05/2018
- Galaxy Minstrels Sweet Nights In promotional 118g pouch with best before date of 13/05/2018