AGE PROFILE of yellow fats consumers Children 0-1012% 11-167% Male 17-3410% 35-6421% 65+10% Female 17-3410% 35-6419% 65+12% Info: Usage overview of yellow fats. In-home and lunchbox The yellow fats market is worth £975m in value There were 15.3bn occasions last year 75% of consumption occurs at breakfast and lunchtime Health concerns hit yellow fats usage Consumption of yellow fats at breakfast time - where one third are eaten - is down 3% as consumers look for healthier options such as cereal. Toast remains the main food for 80% of yellow fats eaten at breakfast time. Lunch, whether at home or from the lunchbox, is also important, accounting for 40% of total consumption. Adults aged 45+ account for more than half of consumption at the in-home lunch. They are also more likely than other consumers to use butter. Lunchbox usage is dominated by children (30%) and adult males (47%), who have a greater bias towards margarine in sandwiches. In terms of the share of yellow fats consumption, dairy spreads and everyday butter, which account for 19% and 20% of total yellow fats respectively, have gained share against low-fat spreads (39% of total yellow fats). These have fallen one percentage point after growing the category in previous years. Yellow fats are mainly eaten for practicality reasons (51% of occasions), but enjoyment motivates one in three occasions. Michael Vahid