Costa Coffee

Costa Coffee is working closely with its supply chain partners to tackle Scope 3 emissions

Costa Coffee has committed to becoming net zero by 2040 across its entire value chain.

The coffee chain has also set a science-based target to halve carbon emissions per serving of coffee by 2030.

Costa’s Scope 1 and 2 emissions, produced in its own operations, account for only 5% of its total GHG emissions. The remaining 95% are all Scope 3 emissions created in its supply chain. 

The company said it was “working closely” with its suppliers and partners to tackle those supply chain-linked emissions that “sit outside of the company’s direct control”.

Costa is also collaborating with suppliers of key ingredients such as coffee and dairy milk to improve farming practices, as well as with logistics suppliers to find low-carbon fuel alternatives.

It said all key suppliers to its UK&I business will have carbon management requirements by 2023.

“We are proud of the progress we’ve made over the years at Costa Coffee across all elements of sustainability,”  said Costa Coffee’s global brand & sustainability director Deb Caldow. 

“We know reducing our emissions by half per coffee serving and ultimately reaching net zero is going to take a lot of collective effort from all of us at Costa Coffee – from our team members and partners to our suppliers and consumers.

“But we are energised and prepared to work together to make a difference, as we continue to aspire to become the world’s most loved coffee brand and uplift the lives of coffee fans around the world.”

The coffee franchise has a roadmap in place to help tackle emissions within its direct control. It recently made a push to encourage customers to use their own reusable cups via its revamped loyalty programme.

Other measures include having all its UK company-owned stores use 100% renewable electricity and most recently, making its UK roastery 100% renewable gas-powered. 

Costa Coffee has also joined the Cortauld Commitment 2030 to drive collaborative action across the entire UK food chain on reducing GHG emissions, plastic packaging and food and water waste.