Daniel is a reporter on The Grocer and covers Asda, Aldi, Lidl and Iceland. He also handles the Grocer 33.
- 01293 610468
Asda today reported strong first quarter like-for-like sales growth of 1.3%, with an unchanged market share of 17.9%.
Poundland’s CEO Jim McCarthy has downplayed suggestions it had initiated a price war by dropping prices to 97p in areas where rivals – particularly 99p Stores – have recently opened new stores.
Discounter Frozen Value has reported a 6% rise in profits for the year to 31 January 2013…
- Greggs issues first-quarter profit warning
- George unveils 'wear your weather' clothing campaign
- High security for Iceland's frozen lamb
- Supermarkets to monitor standards after factory collapse
- Morrisons’ Dalton Philips misses out on bonus
- Tobacco companies welcome Queen's silence on plain packs
- Global food safety tool launched by industry boffins
Recent blog posts
“This industry’s full of jargon,” said Asda CEO Andy Clarke today, referring to the UK grocery business.Clarke was speaking to a room full of journalists in the retailer’s convivial albeit cosy offices above Carnaby Street, delivering the news that Asda had seen sales growth of 1.8% in Q1.
With the news today that Asda is in talks to stop HMV’s iconic and cherished brand disappearing from the high street, questions of feasibility are not the only thoughts to spring to mind…