Own label has evolved massively in the past 20 years - and is still evolving. And there’s no better evidence of its development than the array of high-quality, innovative products recognised by The Grocer 2013 Own-Label Food & Drink Awards 2013.
Sponsored by the PLMA and Delicious magazine, the record books were rewritten as 67 Gold winners were chosen from 285 shortlisted products and a total of 801 entries, in a glittering ceremony presented at the Hilton Hotel, Park Lane, by Thomasina Miers, the former MasterChef winner and Wahaca founder, and Adam Leyland, chairman of the awards judges and editor of The Grocer.
But it’s not just the sheer volume of entries. The quality of the innovation and execution was in many cases astonishing, says Leyland. “We’ve grown used to stories of own label imitating brands, but the retailers and their own-label suppliers should be congratulated for their agenda-setting NPD programmes, which in some cases are putting brands to shame. For example, can you imagine a branded supplier launching Tesco’s Sour Cherry and Pomegranate Gummies?
To see this article in PDF format, please click here
“And the success of the Morrisons NuMe range at these year’s awards is proof positive that supermarkets are winning with new architectures around lifestyle, health and wellbeing - ranges that no brand could hope to pull off.”
The most successful retailer at this year’s awards was Aldi, which picked up a record 16 gold medals, and a further 10 silvers. Fellow discounter Lidl also picked up four golds.
Of the major multiples, Tesco made the greatest number of trips to the podium, with 12 golds, followed by Asda’s 11. Marks & Spencer also performed well, picking up nine golds - including the Chairman’s Champion’ award - and eight silvers. And other winners included Budgens, Iceland and Booker.
Below, we’ve listed all the gold medal winners, together with the relevant retailer and supplier, plus insights from the judges. The silver medal winners and other finalists are also listed.
BAGGED SNACKS - NUTS
Aldi Sea Salt and Pepper Cashew Nuts
The eye-catching packaging and inviting look of the product gave a good first impression that was justified by a great flavour that wasn’t too salty, said our judges.
- Aldi Clancy’s Pistachio Nuts (silver)
- Asda Habañero Chilli Nut Mix
- Sainsbury’s Chip Shop Curry Crunchy Coated Peanuts
- Tesco Wasabi Flavoured Jumbo Peanuts
BAGGED SNACKS - CRISPS
Morrisons NuMe Cassava Crunchers Variety Snacks
Our judges were wowed by how much flavour these offered for a low-fat product. The packaging also won accolades from our panellists.
- Tesco Restaurant Collection Goats Cheese and Sticky Chilli Jam Handcooked Crisps (silver)
- The Co-operative Truly Irresistible Sea Salt and Chardonnay Vinegar Crisps
BAKERY - BREAD
Aldi Specially Selected Farmhouse Seeded White Batch Loaf
Fine Lady Bakeries
Our judges thought this bread would be particularly well suited to making a sandwich, adding that it offered a very fresh taste at a very good price.
- Asda Multi Cereal Rustic Sour Dough Baguette
- Asda Speciality Chilli Bread (silver)
- Morrisons Tiger Paw
- Tesco Italian Garlic Tiger Baguette
BAKERY - CELEBRATION CAKES
Sainsbury’s Princess Castle Cake
Just Love Food Company
Any little girl would love this princess castle cake, said our judges, who praised the quality of the jam filling and softness of the sponge.
- Asda Chosen by You Ultimate Cupcake (silver)
- Rudolph the Reindeer Cake
BAKERY - INDIVIDUAL CAKES
Asda Angel Slices
Finsbury Food Group
The presentation of Asda’s Angel Slices impressed our judges, who felt it was a great product for mums buying for their children. It was also praised for offering good portion control.
- Lidl Northwood 4 Double Chocolate Muffins
- Lidl Triple Choc Cake
- Tesco Millionaire Brownies
BAKERY - SWEET
Aldi Bon Appetit French Marble Brioche
La Fournée Dorée Lorraine
Aldi’s family-sized brioche offered excellent value for money, said our panel. It was also praised for being soft and chocolatey.
- Marks & Spencer 4 Sticky Pecan and Cinnamon Buns (silver)
- Asda Almond Surprise
- Tesco All Butter Fruit Scones with Clotted Cream
BEVERAGES (COLD) - JUICES
Tesco Finest Orange and Lemon Juice Drink with Manuka Honey and Ginger
Orchard House Foods
This drink offered interesting flavours that were balanced perfectly, said our judges.
- Morrisons Apple and Fig Juice (silver)
- Aldi Specially Selected Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice
- Asda Mango Juice Drink
BEVERAGES (COLD) - SMOOTHIES
Morrisons Pineapple, Mango and Coconut Smoothie
This had a delightful, refreshing taste with a good balance of flavours, said our panel, while also offering excellent value for money.
- Tesco Goodness Tropical Smoothie (silver)
- Tesco Juice Bar Green Stuff
- Tesco Juice Bar Wake Up Smoothie
BEVERAGES (COLD) - SOFT DRINKS
Marks & Spencer Sparkling French Rosé Grape Juice
Guillet Frères - Eclor
Our panel loved the packaging and found the sparkling juice’s beauty more than skin deep, praising its interesting and subtle flavour. One judge felt it would make a good non-alcoholic spritzer.
- Lidl Deluxe Italian Apple Pressé
- Tesco Cosmo
- The Co-operative Truly Irresistible Sparkling Elderflower Juice
BEVERAGES (HOT) - COFFEE/MOCHA
Waitrose FT Organic Sumatra Mandheling Roast and Ground Coffee
“Strong, smoky and smooth as a tiger in a tuxedo,” was how one of our more poetic judges described this coffee.
- Aldi Specially Selected Ethiopian Coffee (silver)
- Marks & Spencer Belgian Hot Chocolate
- Sainsbury’s Seasons Best Mzuzu Fairtrade Ground Coffee
- Sainsbury’s TTD Kenyan FT Coffee Beans
BEVERAGES (HOT) - INFUSIONS
Aldi Diplomat Fruit and Herb Tea - Summer Berry
This tea delivered a “lovely berry flavour that is bursting with flavour”, said our judges, who felt the vibrant packaging was also worthy of note.
- Asda Extra Special Oriental Sencha Green 20 Tea Bags
- Harrods Green Tea with Bergamot
- Tesco Finest Mango and Passionfruit Infusion
BEVERAGES (HOT) - TEA
Aldi Diplomat Gold Tea Bags
It only seems right that our judges should give a gold award to a product branded Gold. Described by our panellists as “a lovely cup of tea”, this had a mild, delicate flavour.
- Booker Chef’s Larder Fairtrade Tea Bags 1 Cup (silver)
- The Co-operative Fairtrade 99 Teabags
BISCUITS - SAVOURY
Aldi Savour Bakes Multigrain Crackers
The seeds and grains in these crackers added interest, while the crackers themselves had a “nice, crisp” texture. One judge felt they would work particularly well with a strong, salty cheese.
- Asda Extra Special Rosemary Ciappe
BISCUITS - SWEET
Aldi Belmont Jaffa Cakes
Griesson - De Beukelaer
The delicious orangey flavour and aroma of these jaffa cakes won over our judges, who also praised the quality of the chocolate.
- Aldi Memento Luxury Cookies - White Chocolate and Cranberry (silver)
- Today’s Select Chocolate Chip Cookies
Lidl Deluxe Fruit and Nut Granola
Inside the smart packaging was a cereal that offered a “lovely coconut aroma” and a “nicely crunchy texture”, said our panel. Judges were also impressed with the excellent value offered by the product.
- Aldi Harvest Morn Premium Muesli - Exotic (silver)
- Lidl Master Crumble Tropical Crunchy Oat Cereal
- The Co-operative Maple and Pecan Crisp
CHEESE - BRITISH
Sainsbury’s Belton Farm Shropshire Red
Belton Cheese Limited
This Shropshire red cheese offered a sweet and nutty flavour that drew praise across our panel of judges.
- Asda Extra Special Belton Farm Red Leicester (silver)
- Aldi Specially Selected Long Clawson Mature Blue Stilton
- Asda Extra Special Cornish Camembert
CHEESE - CHEDDAR
Marks & Spencer 3 Year Old Extra Mature Cornish Cruncher
A terrific texture combining crumbliness and crystals, said judges.
- Aldi SS Lye Cross Farm West Country Farmhouse Vintage Cheddar (silver)
- Aldi SS Scottish Vintage Cheddar Cheese
- Asda Extra Special Wookey Hole Cave Aged West Country Farmhouse Cheddar
- Chef’s Larder Premium Taw Valley Mature Cheddar
CHEESE - CONTINENTAL
Sainsbury’s Deli Gruyère Premier Cru
“A good example of a quality, workhorse cheese,” said one judge. This was also praised for its sweet and nutty flavour.
- Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Epoisses (silver)
- Tesco Finest Montagnolo Affine Blue Vein Cheese
- Finest Queso Murcia Al Vino
- Tesco Finest Taleggio D.O.P
CONDIMENTS - MAYONNAISE & SALAD CREAM
Waitrose Wholegrain Mustard Mayonnaise
Van Dijk Foods
This mustard mayonnaise would be great on a beefburger, said our judges, who also liked the natural ingredients in the product and its high-quality delivery.
- Aldi Bramwells Mayonnaise (silver)
- Tesco Lighter than Light Mayonnaise
CONDIMENTS - PICKLES & RELISHES
Tesco Finest Quince Jelly
The English Provender Company
Held up as a great example of product innovation by our judges, this was praised for its beautiful aroma and spreadable texture.
- Marks & Spencer British Baby Beetroot in Vinegar (silver
- Aldi Bramwells Chunky Apple Sauce
- Lidl Deluxe Irish Red Pepper and Jalapeño Relish
- The Co-operative Truly Irresistible Tomato and Chilli Chutney
CONFECTIONERY - BARS
Aldi Moser Roth Orange and Almond Chocolate
August Storck Kg
This bar, offered “beautiful packaging”, “fantastic value ” and “good, bitter flavour”.
- Lidl JD Gross Premium Dark Chocolate Ecuador Cocoa 70% (silver)
- Aldi Moser Roth Caramel Chocolate
- Asda Extra Special Ivory Coast Milk Chocolate with Caramel
- Morrisons Milk Chocolate Bar with Salted Butterscotch
CONFECTIONERY - BOXED
Lidl JD Gross Chocolate Truffle
This truffle offered a light taste that would be enjoyed by the whole family, felt our judges. The chocolate’s appearance and creamy ganache centre also drew praise.
- Marks & Spencer The Collection of Exceptional Characters (silver)
- Asda Extra Special Belgian Marc de Champagne Truffles
- Lidl JD Gross Belgian Chocolate Seashells
- Tesco Finest Belgian Chocolate Assortment
CONFECTIONERY - SUGAR
Tesco Sour Cherry and Pomegranate Gummies
These sweets offered a good flavour in an exciting shape, said our judges, who were also impressed with the packaging.
- Happy Shopper Mini Eggs
- Tesco Mints - Peppermint (Sugarfree) Multipack
COOKING SAUCES - ASIAN
Aldi Asia Specialities Stir Fry Sauce - Hoisin
Our judges felt this did exactly what it said on the label, delivering a great hoisin stir fry that perfectly complemented chicken.
- Sainsbury’s Spicy Sweet and Sour Cooking Sauce (silver)
- Sainsbury’s Sweet Chilli and Ginger Stir Fry Sauce
COOKING SAUCES - INDIAN
Aldi Specially Selected Dopiaza Sauce
Ab World Foods
Aldi’s dopiaza sauce offered a good texture and flavour with just the right amount of spice, said our panel.
- Marks & Spencer Tikka Masala Sauce (silver)
- Morrisons NuMe Bhuna Sauce
- Tesco Finest Madras Cooking Sauce
- The Co-operative Truly Irresistible Hot Tikka Masala Sauce
COOKING SAUCES - MEDITERRANEAN
Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Cherry Tomato and Chilli Pasta Sauce
This looked like a sauce you might make yourself at home, said one judge, while another felt this would be the perfect store-cupboard standby.
- Morrisons M Bistro Carbonara Pasta Sauce
- Morrisons M Kitchen Tomato and Chorizo Pasta Sauce
COOKING SAUCES - PASTES/AIDS
Asda Sticky Ginger and Lime Paste
British Pepper & Spice Co
The quality of this cooking paste prompted one of our judges to declare that it had converted her into an Asda shopper, while another said it was a great way of introducing consumers to new ways of cooking.
- Sainsbury’s Porcini Mushroom Paste
- Sainsbury’s Spicy Jerk Paste
- Tesco Finest Tikka Paste
DAIRY - BUTTER & CREAM
Asda Extra Special Thick Madagascan Vanilla Cream
This indulgent treat showed how well Asda and Leiths worked together, said one judge.
- Asda Extra Special Somerset Butter (SILVER)
- Sainsbury’s Extra Thick Amaretto Cream
- Sainsbury’s Extra Thick Chocolate and Orange Cream
- Tesco Finest Cornish Custard
DAIRY - YOGHURT
Aldi Specially Selected West Country Strawberry Yogurt
Yeo Valley Farms
Our judges enjoyed the natural fruit flavour and thick, creamy texture of this yoghurt.
- Morrisons Raspberry, Cranberry and Blueberry Bio Yogurt (silver)
- Morrisons Mango, Papaya and Passionfruit Bio Yogurt
- Tesco Low Fat Berry Medley Yogurt
Marks & Spencer Oak and Applewood Smoked Salmon Platter
This platter had great presentation, with good-looking food and “lovely” packaging. It also scored very well in terms of taste.
- Asda Extra Special Fish Pâté Trios (silver)
- Tesco Deli Pork and Brussels Pâté Gala Pie
- Tesco Finest Mini Pickle and Cheddar Pork Pies
DESSERTS - CHILLED (FAMILY)
Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Apple Pie
This was better than homemade, said our panellists. Decorative pastry completed a great package - with one judge describing the pie as “blinged up to perfection”.
- Asda ES Millionaires Trifle (silver)
- Lidl Deluxe Sticky Toffee Pudding
- Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Belgian Chocolate Pudding
- Tesco F. Morello Cherry Frangipane Tart
DESSERTS - CHILLED (INDIVIDUAL)
Tesco Blackcurrant Cheesecakes
Yeo Valley Farms (Production)
Inside some “lovely” packaging was a tasty product offering excellent value for many, said our judges. The blackcurrant topping, in particular, was a big hit.
- Asda Chosen By You Mango and Passion Fruit Fruity Mousse (silver)
- Marks & Spencer Dessert Menu Hot Pain au Chocolat Puddings
- Sainsbury’s Individual Profiterole Dessert
- Tesco Plum and Cherry Crumble Pies
DESSERTS - FROZEN
Aldi Specially Selected Lemon and Mascarpone Cheesecake
“All-round excellence” was how our judges summed up this dessert - particular praise was given to the quality of the lemon curd and lightness of the filling.
- Lidl Deluxe Sicilian Lemon Cheesecake (silver)
- Tesco Finest Tart au Citron
- Tesco Everyday Value Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake
Morrisons NuMe Beetroot, Yoghurt and Mint Dip
For a low-calorie product, this delivered very well on flavour, said our judges, with one declaring it “tasted of health”.
- Sainsbury’s Butterbean Dip with Chimichurri (silver)
- Lidl Meadow Fresh Green Pesto Topped Houmous
- Morrisons Goats Cheese, Butternut Squash and Crème Fraîche
FISH - COATED
Morrisons M Signature Smoked Haddock and Wholegrain Mustard Fishcakes
Joseph Robertson (Aberdeen)
A great mix of flavours, said our judges.
- Marks & Spencer Lightly Dusted 2 Lemon, Salt and Pepper Plaice (silver)
- Lidl Deluxe Three Fish Roast
- Morrisons M Signature Salmon Spinach and Gruyère Fishcakes
- Tesco Lightly Dusted Yellowfin Sole with Lemon and Parsley
FISH - seafood
Asda Smoked Scottish Salmon with Malt Whisky
Edinburgh Salmon Company
This smoked salmon would be perfect for a special occasion and was well worth the money, said our judges, who felt it offered a good balance of flavour, texture and aroma.
- Aldi Almare Scottish Cooked Mussels
- Aldi Almare Sliced Smoked Salmon
FROZEN - ETHNIC SAVOURY
Tesco Pea and Asparagus Risotto
Our judges loved the packaging of this risotto, which they felt would have standout in store freezers. Our panellists also praised the texture of the vegetables, particularly the crisp peas, which tasted very fresh.
- Iceland Creamy Chicken Masala (silver)
- Asda Chosen by You Chicken Fajita Mix
- Iceland Sri Lankan Chicken
- Tesco Jamaican Jerk Chicken and Rice
FROZEN - TRADITIONAL SAVOURY
Asda Chosen by You 4 Beef Dripping Yorkshire Puddings
Greencore Frozen Foods
“Really excellent Yorkshires” and “a good alternative to home-made” were two examples of the praise heaped on these puds.
- Asda Chosen by You 12 Sage and Onion Yorkshire Puddings (silver)
- Aldi Specially Selected Roast Potatoes in Goose Fat
- Sainsbury’s Slow Cooked Lamb Shoulder Joint
FRUIT & VEGETABLES
Musgrave SuperValu Ratatouille Pack
This product was praised by one of our panellists for encouraging consumers to cook a family meal for themselves. The pack also won plaudits for its great looks and excellent value.
- Tesco Finest Venezia Potatoes (silver)
- Tesco Finest Forestière Mushrooms
- Tesco Finest Portobello Mushrooms
FRUIT & VEGETABLES - NEW VARIETIES
Tesco Finest Lamuyo Pepper
Described as offering amazing value at £1 each, this pepper had the wow factor to win over judges and consumers. “A fantastic sweet taste,” said one of our panellists.
- Sainsbury’s Kent Pink Plum Tomatoes (silver)
- Tesco Finest Flavorking Plums
- Tesco Finest Samphire
HERBS & SPICES
Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Pink Lady Apple, Honey and Herb Stuffing
Arden Fine Foods
This offered great flavour and texture, while the packaging would ensure shoppers knew they had picked a premium product.
- M&S Diced Red Chilli (silver)
- Asda Rosemary and Thyme Roast Potato Seasoning
- M&S Chopped Garlic
- Tesco Spanish Style Herbs and Spices
Asda Chosen by You Peanut Butter Crunch Cones
R&R Ice Cream
These cones were truly innovative while also great value, felt our judges. “Asda should be commended for this genuinely different take,” declared one.
- Tesco Finest Madagascan Vanilla Ice Cream (silver)
- Aldi Ice Cream Sundae Selection
- Asda CBY Dairy Coconut Ice Cream
- Tesco Strawberry & Raspberry Sorbet
JAMS & SPREADS
Tesco Finest Orange Curd
Tesco’s orange curd had a clean flavour, said our panellists, and offered a great fruit taste without being too sweet.
- Aldi Specially Selected Active 10+ Manuka Honey (silver)
- Lidl Deluxe Luxury Strawberry Fruit Spread
- Lidl Maribel Strawberry Extra Jam
- Tesco Finest Spiced Orange Marmalade
Aldi Fiesta Fajita Dinner Kit
Offering a smoky barbecue flavour with a good spice, this was a hit with our judges - particularly the one heard to declare: “Arriba baby!”
- Sainsbury’s Pilau Microrice (silver)
- Asda Chosen By You Beef Bourguignon Can
- Morrisons Gigli Pasta
MEAT - ADDED VALUE
Asda Butchers Selection Smoky BBQ Rack of Ribs
Judges loved generous sauce and the aroma .
- M&S Maple Cured Cooked Gammon Shanks Orange & Cranberry Sauce (silver)
- Aldi Signature Duck Legs in Sauce
- Asda Butchers Selection Oyster Shoulder
- Asda CbY Basted Chicken Joint with a Chilli and Parsley Sprinkle
- Tesco F&E 2 Chicken Breasts Topped with Cheddar Cheese and a Creamy Leek Sauce
MEAT - BACON
Aldi Specially Selected Ultimate Dry Cure Lightly Smoked British Streaky Bacon
Aldi offered great value for a dry cured bacon, said judges. “Lovely in a sandwich.”
- Musgrave SuperValu Reduced Salt Smoked Twinrack of Bacon (silver)
- Aldi Specially Selected Ultimate Dry Cure Unsmoked British Back Bacon
- Lidl Glensallagh Honeycure Back Bacon
- Tesco Finest Sweet & Smokey Streaky
MEAT - JOINTS
Tesco Finest Lamb Guard of Honour with a Herb Crust
St Merryn Foods
This meat had been well butchered and looked very appealing, said our judges, who felt the product delivered a great taste.
- Tesco Counter Finest Carvery Beef Rib (silver)
- Lidl Birchwood Garlic and Herb British Chicken
- Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference 21-day Dry Aged Roasting Joint
MEAT - SAUSAGES/BURGERS/MEATBALLS
Asda Extra Special Caramelised Red Onion and Pork Sausage
Red onion boosted the flavour and texture of these succulent sausages, said our judges.
- Tesco Finest Beef Meatballs with Smoked Paprika Sprinkle (silver)
- Asda ES Spiced Moroccan Lamb C’latas
- Musgrave SuperValu Butchers Choice Lincolnshire Sausages
- Tesco Finest British Lamb, Garlic and Rosemary Chipolatas
MEAT - STEAKS
Lidl Deluxe Scotch 28 Day Matured Ribeye Steak
This was seen as a good steak at a keen price. Judges enjoyed the tender, juicy meat and appreciated the level of provenance information on the label.
- Sainsbury’s Shoulder Steaks with a Mint Glaze (silver)
- Aldi Specially Selected Dry Cured Gammon Steaks
- Lidl Deluxe Hereford Fillet Steaks
- Lidl Deluxe Hereford Rib Eye Steaks
MEAT - WITH STUFFING
Tesco Finest Extra Matured Norfolk Pork Guard of Honour Joint with Pork, Apricot and Brandy Stuffing
Cranswick Country Foods
Our judges felt this joint should be carved at the table to do the presentation justice.
- Marks & Spencer Sirloin Joint with Porcini and Truffle Stuffing (silver)
- Sainsbury’s British Pork Shoulder Joint with Apple and Shallot Stuffing
- Tesco Finest Sirloin of Beef with Porcini Mushroom Stuffing
MEAT SLICES - HAM
Aldi Alpenmark Smoked German Ham
Eyecatching packaging and tempting aroma drew in our judges, who were rewarded with slices offering great flavour.
- Aldi Alpenmark Baked Ham (silver)
- Asda Honey Cured Ham on the Bone
- Lidl Glensallagh Irish Traditional Crumbed Ham
- Tesco Finest Peppered Wiltshire Cured Ham
MEAT SLICES - NOT HAM
Lidl Glensallagh Cajun Chicken Breast Slices
Green Farm Foods
These chicken slices delivered a strong, spicy flavour in thick, succulent slices that our judges felt gave the product a premium feel.
- Aldi Specially Selected Pastrami (silver)
- Lidl Glensallagh Peppered Turkey Breast Slices
- Marks & Spencer Prosciutto di Parma Ham
OILS & DRESSINGS
Morrisons NuMe Beetroot and Balsamic Dressing
Welcome Foods, Bakkavör
This dressing was good value and had a simple, earthy taste and a nice balance of sweet and acidic flavours, felt our panel.
Aldi Specially Selected Pesto Rosso (silver)
Aldi Specially Selected Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Asda CBY Moroccan Spiced Dressing
Asda ES Italian Raspberry Dressing
Marks & Spencer Raspberry and Pomegranate Fruit Shaker
Orchard House Foods
This drink offered good quality in an attractive package, said our panellists. It was felt the shaker was an interesting format that made the product feel very premium.
- Tesco Cottage Cheese with Multigrain Crackers and Sweet Chilli Sauce (silver)
- M&S Super Nutty Wholefood Salad
- Tesco Eat Fresh Plum Tomatoes with Feta and Croutini
Asda Bistro Ultimate Steak and Ale Pie
Palethorpes - Pork Farms
Rich pastry and meaty chunks of steak helped Asda’s pie take the gold. Our judges felt it was as good as a homemade and offered fantastic value at two-for-£5.
- The Co-op Truly Irresistible Aberdeen Angus Beef and Chestnut Mushrooms in Ale Sauce Puff Pastry (silver)
- Sainsbury’s Pork and Chorizo Rolls
- Tesco Slow Cooked Steak Puff Pastry Pie
PIZZA - CHILLED
Marks & Spencer Wood Fired Buffalo Mozzarella and Sicilian Tomato
This was simply a great margherita, said our judges.
- Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Spiced Jamaican Jerk Chicken and Cherrybell Pepper Hand Stretched Pizza (silver)
- Morrisons M Kitchen Kickin’ Chicken Fully Loaded Pizza
- Nisa Heritage Meat Feast Stonebaked Pizza
PIZZA - FROZEN
Aldi Carlos Stonebaked 3x Margherita Pizza
The “incredibly low price” didn’t mean low quality, with the pizzas offering good flavour and an excellent crust.
- Asda Chosen By You Mexican Chilli Beef Nacho Stonebaked Pizza (silver)
- Iceland Rising Dough Pepperoni Pizza
- M Bistro Woodfired Four Cheese Pizza
- The Co-operative Truly Irresistible Mexican Stone Baked Pizza
QUICHES & FLANS
Waitrose Mushroom Tart
Greencore Prepared Meals
The puff pastry used in Waitrose’s mushroom tart set it apart from many rival products on the market. It offered a good texture and had a flavour that worked well with the mushrooms.
- Morrisons Bistro Caramelised Onion and Goats Cheese Tart
- Tesco Finest Goats Cheese and Red Pepper Quiche
READY MEAL (CHILLED) - MEDITERRANEAN
Marks & Spencer Sicilian Inspired Sausage Pasta and Focaccia Bake
This was judged to be a great family meal, with one judge describing it as a “complete meal on a plate”.
- Tesco Finest Spinach, Ricotta and Mascarpone Mezzelune (silver)
- Asda Fresh Taste Spanish Style Chargrilled Chicken and Chorizo Warm Salad
- Marks & Spencer España Seafood Paella
READY MEAL (CHILLED) - ORIENTAL
Marks & Spencer Modern Asian Spicy Sichuan Pork Noodles
The Recipe Dish Company
A great combination of taste and texture, said our judges, who enjoyed the crunch of the fresh vegetables. It was an interesting and adventurous concept realised with quality ingredients.
- Lidl Chef Select Chicken Korma Ready Meal (silver)
- Marks & Spencer Modern Asian Teriyaki Salmon
READY MEALS (CHILLED) - TRADITIONAL
Tesco British Classics Beef Casserole and Dumplings
This casserole included a light and fluffy dumpling, a generous amount of meat and good-quality veg. Its excellent value for money sealed the deal for our judges.
- Tesco Cauliflower and Broccoli Cheese Bake (silver)
- Asda Extra Special Beef Bourguignon
- Asda Extra Special Coq Au Vin
- Tesco Beef and Tomato Wedge Bake
Tesco Finest Chicken Caesar Salad
Natures Way Foods
In addition to offering good value and being well presented, this Caesar salad tasted great and had a very pleasant aroma, said our judges.
- Tesco Finest Hot and Fiery Salad (silver)
- Lidl Meadow Fresh Cheese Coleslaw
- Morrisons Florida Salad
- Musgrave SuperValu Supreme Herby Aromatic Salad
SOUP - AMBIENT
Sainsbury’s Soups of the World Mexican Bean Soup
Baxters Food Group
This ambient soup could compete with any fresh product on taste, declared our delighted judges. They were amazed that such texture and well-rounded flavours could be offered for such a low price.
Sainsbury’s Cream of Tomato Soup (silver)
Sainsbury’s Soups of the World Chicken Korma Soup
SOUP - CHILLED
Marks & Spencer Pulled Pork and Chipotle Chilli Soup
“A good amount of pulled pork, and an interesting and tasty mouthful of soup,” declared our judges.
- Asda Extra Special Roasted Red Pepper and Balsamic Soup (silver)
- Morrisons M Kitchen Chicken Rice and Mushroom Soup
- Tesco Pea and Asparagus Soup
- The Co-operative Truly Irresistible Moroccan Chicken soup
Asda Gluten and Wheat Free Brown 600g Sliced Loaf
Frank Roberts & Sons
Our judges felt this had the look and feel of a proper farmhouse loaf and offered a nice malty taste.
- Sainsbury’s Free From Roasted Pepper Arrabiata
- Tesco Free From Pasta Bolognese
- Tesco Meat Free Pea, Mint and Feta Frittata
- Tesco Meat Free Mediterranean Sausages
Tesco Finest Sparkling Passion Fruit and Champagne Jelly Base
The English Provender Company
This product was fresh and zesty, said our judges, and had a lovely texture. “Superb” was how one of our panellists summed it up.
- Morrisons NuMe Apple Crisps (silver)
- Lidl Deluxe Brandy Butter
- Tesco Finest Madagascan Vanilla Custard
VEGETABLE DISH - CHILLED OR FROZEN
Asda Chosen by You Potato Gratin
Fullers Foods International
Asda’s potato gratin was as good as you would be served in a restaurant, ventured one of our panellists.
- Tesco Finest Sweet Mini Peppers (silver)
- Morrisons Ready to Roast Goose Fat Potatoes
- Tesco Finest Blue Belle Potato Wedges in Oak Smoked Garlic Dressing
- Tesco Finest Restaurant Collection Baby Potato, Leek and Gruyère Cakes
Marks & Spencer Pulled Pork and Chipotle Chilli Soup
Awarded to the best overall product, our six expert panel chairmen were each asked to choose one Gold winner. From this shortlist, the chairman said “this delicious soup stood out for being on-trend and yet original, delivering the authentic tastes and textures of the American BBQ scene, from which it was inspired, with flavoursome aplomb”.